Thursday, 20 August 2015

High concept



It is hard to distinguish whether an art piece is high concept or not. One of the examples mentioned in the readings drew my attention: it says that a Swedish film with low budget would not be high concept, while some of most famous Hollywood movies would be. It is very tempting to say that high concept means commercial art, but the author says it is not. I think I have an analogy. One of my favourite authors is Fiodor Dostoyevsky, the Russian writer. His catalogue of novels is quite extended. I have read two novels by him, both of them wonderful, but I would say they’re very different. ‘Crime and punishment’ is considered a masterpiece, it has been taken to the big screen several times and reviewed by many of the most prominent personalities. The other one, ‘The gambler’, which is a short book, very entertaining and profound though. I love ‘The gambler ’ (it is in my Top 5), but I recognise that ‘Crime and punishment’ is a more ambitious story because it involves lots more elements and literary resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment